Twenty one companies make the shortlist of national Manufacturing Excellence Awards
Published: 27 June, 2014
Twenty one manufacturing companies have been shortlisted as part of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Manufacturing Excellence Awards business improvement programme.
Shortlisted companies will receive visits from expert assessors prior to attending a judging panel during the summer period. Winners will be announced at a prestigious ceremony on Tuesday 30 September at WMG, University of Warwick.
Christopher Simpson, chairman of the Manufacturing Excellence Awards Executive, said: “These twenty one companies demonstrate the breadth of fantastic manufacturing business in the UK.
“Apart from the opportunity to win a prestigious award, it is also great to see so many companies taking advantage of the free expert advice and feedback provided by our assessors, as part of the programme.”
The Manufacturing Excellence Awards programme has been helping UK manufacturing companies improve for over 30 years. This year marks the launch of a new, streamlined online process aimed at easing the path to gaining individually tailored expert advice.
The twenty one shortlisted companies are:
• Altro Ltd: Letchworth-based flooring manufacturer;
• BAE Systems (Operations) Ltd: Defence, security and aerospace company, based in Blackburn;
• Brother Industries (UK) Ltd: Electronics and electrical equipment company based in Manchester;
• Building Adhesives Ltd: Tiling adhesives and grouts manufacturer, based in Stoke-on-Trent;
• Coca-Cola Enterprises: Wakefield-based operations of international drinks manufacturer;
• Cummins: Diesel engine manufacturer, based in Darlington;
• Elster Water Metering Ltd: Luton-based water and energy meter manufacturer;
• Graphic Plc: Manufacturer of high technology Printed Circuit Boards, based in Crediton;
• Loadhog Ltd: Sheffield-based transit packaging innovator;
• Mabey Bridge Ltd: Chepstow-based manufacturer of steel bridging, infrastructure, wind turbine towers and heavy plated structural steelwork;
• Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group: Cambridge-based aircraft maintenance, modification and design company;
• MBDA: Stevenage-based missiles systems company;
• Mech-Tool Engineering Ltd: Darlington-based manufacturer of products that protect people and plants from blast, fire and heat hazards;
• Meggitt Polymers and Composites: Loughborough-based manufacturer of seals for aircraft and oil platforms, as well as flexible fuel tanks and coatings;
• Meltech: Blackburn-based company which manufactures cable coiling machinery, wire annealing furnaces, and continuous copper and aluminium extrusion equipment;
• Selex ES Ltd: International electronics and information technology business, based in Luton;
• Subsea Technologies Ltd: Aberdeen-based subsea engineering business;
• Tek-Tanks Ltd: Supplier of water, waste and diesel fuel tanks to the Marine Industry, based in Alton, Hampshire;
• Tharsus: Engineering and contract manufacturing company, based in Blyth Northumberland;
• VerdErg Connectors Ltd: Bromborough-based manufacturer of specialist equipment for offshore energy sector and;
• ZF Lemforder: Birmingham-based company that assembles corner units – suspension, drive shaft and brake assemblies for three Land Rover models.
To find out what categories companies have been shortlisted: Manufacturing Excellence Shortlisted Companies
The Manufacturing Excellence Awards was established in 1982 and is widely recognised in the business world for promoting the very best of UK manufacturing.
The 2014 Manufacturing Excellence Awards is run in partnership with AESSEAL, The ERA Foundation, Grant Thornton, Lombard, NatWest, Renishaw and WMG. This year’s sponsor is Hexagon Metrology and Supporters are MAS (Manufacturing Advisory Service), the Department for Business and Innovation, the MTC, and Power Panels.